Here’s what happened today in GE news:
- Party Political Broadcasts were made on national media with RP, NSP, PV, SDP, WP, PSP, and the PAP participating.
- The Manpower Ministry has refuted a claim that 100,000 PMETs in Singapore are unemployed. This claim was made by PSP’s Francis Yuen in a TV debate on 1 July. The Manpower Ministry offered figures from June 2019 as evidence of Yuen being “incorrect”, prompting Yuen to say that such figures are thus outdated. The Ministry said this year’s figures will only be released next year.
- Population Division says no plans to increase population to 10 million, claims statements otherwise are “untrue”. SDP has been campaigning on a “4 Yes 1 No” platform that includes a call against any population increase to 10 million.
In candidate news…
- PAP’s Aljunied candidate, Shamsul Kamar, refutes allegations of “luring voters” with free food, says that plans were part of food distribution programme which had been postponed due to the GE.
- Independent in Pioneer SMC, Cheang Peng Wah, begins campaigning, chooses horse as election logo.
- PAP’s Ong Ye Kung takes down Facebook video which includes a primary school child. This after authorities informed Ong that the video violated election rules which prohibit primary and secondary school children from being involved in election activities.
In constituency news…
- PSP’s Brad Bowyer rebuts PAP’s K Shanmugam’s claim that Nee Soon was “horse traded” between PSP and RP. Bowyer calls such claims “rumours” while Shanmugam argues that the “PSP has not denied this so far”.
- PSP’s Leong Mun Wai replies Shanmugam, reiterates “no horse-trading” of Nee Soon and wants to “concentrate on the issues” instead.
And in all other news…
- NUS Society to hold GE2020 forum on 3 July, will feature PPP, PSP, RDU, RP, SDA, SDP.
- PSP’s Tan Cheng Bock will not take up a Non-Constituency MP (NCMP) seat if offered, says the scheme is a ploy to reduce opposition votes. This comes as PAP candidates claim that there is no need to vote opposition as the NCMP scheme ensures opposition presence regardless of the results.
- 51 year-old man and 13 year-old boy under investigation for damaging PSP and PAP posters respectively.
Top image: CNA